FIGHTING THE HEART WAR WITH LOVE.

crying happy tears...

23 September 2014


Since Hayden's heart journey started almost three years ago, there have been a lot of sadness and a lot of tears- but thankfully, a lot of those tears were happy tears shed several times throughout Hayden's life. I want to share some of those happy tears with you...

When he was born, Hayden was able to be held for one minute before rushed away and I will never forget the first time our eyes met. Happy tears...

After Hayden's first open heart surgery, I had to wait 5 long - very long - days until I could hold and comfort my baby and I will never forget the moment the nurse and doctor gave us the go ahead and I was able to hold him in my arms. Happy tears...

When Hayden was exactly three weeks old, we were discharged for the very first time and that night I watched as my two children sat next to each other and watched our first 'family movie night' together as a family of four. Happy tears...

Hayden went back into the hospital soon after that night and we were there for a very long month and while one of his aunties was visiting us in room 11 of the CICU, Hayden shared with us his very first smile. Happy tears...

After a long month in the hospital, the charge nurse walked into our room on Mother's Day and surprised us with those magical words~ "So, you, want to go home today??' Happy tears...

While recovering from his first open heart surgery, we were informed Hayden had suffered a significant brain injury that could lead to cerebral palsy or epilepsy. Upon finding that out, we began working hard with different therapists throughout our stays at home. I'll never forget the day our PT told us she still saw no signs of this and was so happy with the way his body was developing and improving week by week. Happy tears...


And before Hayden had his second open heart surgery, he had a follow up MRI to see how his brain damage had changed, if any, from the first MRI. When his neurologist came into his reovery room and told us Hayden's MRI no longer showed any of the damage that his first MRI showed, I fell to the floor of that POD sobbing the happiest tears I have ever shed. I literally couldn't believe it- but knew it all along. We never really got the chance to tell anyone about it, since less than two weeks after we found out, Hayden was suffering from a fatal brain injury and then those happy tears just didn't matter anymore. But as I live each day, I also re-live each day I had with him. When he was alive, I lived in the moment and didn't reflect on anything really- and now thats all I do- reflect on every single day of his life. And this one was one of my favorites for sure. Hayden cured his own brain injury- his significant brain injury that would likely cause cerebral palsy or epilepsy. Thats a reason to shed happy, happy tears...

No comments :

Post a Comment


DEDICATED TO HAYDEN JETER DORSETT
3.12.12 - 8.16.12

copyright 2012 - 2015 hayden's heart inc. 501(c)(3) all rights reserved blog design by Madison & Mi