FIGHTING THE HEART WAR WITH LOVE.

meet matthew!!

11 December 2015



This is our son Matthew Mursch Jr. He is a 4 year old heart warrior whose spirit and personality is so contagious! He was diagnosed with a severe congenital heart defect called Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome at our 18 week anatomy scan. My husband and I went in to the scan so excited about finding out the gender of our baby. Never did it occur to us that we would find out our baby would be born with half a heart and our lives would be changed forever. From that day on we wondered why did this happen to our baby? Was it something I did? Was this scan read wrong? Why.. Why..

We followed up at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia where we fell in love with everyone we met. We weren't just another couple with a high risk pregnancy; we were their patient. We found out our son would need 3 heart surgeries and a possibility of others. I gave birth to Matthew on November 29th, 2011 in the SDU at CHOP.

I immediately fell in love with my 8lb 14oz baby boy! They brought him to my bedside so we could see him before he was rushed to the CICU to be stabilized. That's when it actually hit me that our son would be battling for his life. He had his first open heart at 7 days old, his second surgery at 3 months old, and his third surgery at 2 1/2 years old.

There is still the question about what may happen next in our mind. We don't know those answers. All children with CHDs are different. Could possibly need another surgery or transplant. We won't know. We are so blessed that he is here with us and doing well. We can't ask for anything else!

We are so honored to be a part of Hayden's Heart 5K. Hayden has a special place in my heart and I know he watches over Matty. Ady was the first heart mom I met while we were at CHOP. Our sons pods in the CICU were next store to each other. We are so blessed to have become friends with her and her family!SaveSave

No comments :

Post a Comment


DEDICATED TO HAYDEN JETER DORSETT
3.12.12 - 8.16.12

copyright 2012 - 2015 hayden's heart inc. 501(c)(3) all rights reserved blog design by Madison & Mi