FIGHTING THE HEART WAR WITH LOVE.

tbt- 3.30.12- 'another battle to fight'

03 April 2014



This is a tough throw back for me- I remember very clearly the night we got the news on Hayden's brain function back in March 2012 and I remember thinking wow- this must be the worst kind of news he (Dr. Licht) has to deliver to parents. Unfortunately it does get worse- and just a few months later we heard exactly just how bad the news he has to deliver to parents really can be...

3.30.12
Just over two weeks ago, we found out Hayden would undergo his first surgery the next morning at 6am. Immediately afterwards we were approached by a few people about participating in some research studies. My mind was already swarming with thoughts so I tried to act interested but was really just wanting to get back to Hayden and spend every minute with him. Lucky for me, Rob had his head on a little straighter than mine and was somewhat processing what they were saying to us. We were asked to participate in three studies related to his condition and operation. We said no to two of them, and one we were considering. The one we were thinking of participating in involved Hayden having an MRI before surgery and then a follow up a few days later to see if the surgery, being on bypass mostly, causes any change in brain function that may relate to learning disabilities that are so common in HLHS babies/kids. 
Rob and I both felt it was important to participate in something that may benefit other HLHS babies down the road since so many before us had helped get the process to where it is today. I hesitated simply because this was my baby and he was already going to go through so much. In the end, we agreed to Dr. Licht's study on brain function. 

Hayden had his first MRI right before going into surgery. The results came back clear, Hayden's brain looked great! One week after surgery they performed a second MRI. The results we received that night from Dr. Licht were and still are devastating. In just one week, Hayden's brain function went from great- to significantly damaged. 
The neurologists are perplexed by these findings simply because the part of his brain that is damaged (PVL) typically occurs in premature babies, coding, or other things that cause extreme lack of oxygen to the brain. It seems there are two thoughts on the cause- his seizures, or being on bypass. I don't know that it even matters what caused it, really. But I can't help wanting someone or something to blame. When we first found out about Hayden's heart condition, I found myself questioning my previous actions and wondering if it was something I did that caused it. I find myself doing the same thing with his brain damage- had I chosen a different hospital, a different surgeon- would the outcome still be the same? In my head I know that nothing would have prevented this from happening but in my heart and as a mother I can't help but want something or someone to blame. 


This news was and is harder for Rob and I to handle than his heart issue-simply because there is no definite fix for his brain like the heart surgery. And the 4 months of unknown that we experienced before he was born was torture enough- the unknown with his brain damage is indefinite. I fear with every milestone we miss I will mourn for my son and be in constant fear of his ultimate outcome. 
It has been one week since we were given the news on Hayden's brain damage and we've already come a long way in the healing. For days I couldn't speak to anyone, not even my family or best friends simply because I had nothing to say- nothing positive anyways, we had lost all hope and faith in everything. Today we are hopeful and full of faith that Hayden will be given every opportunity under the sun, moon and stars to overcome this life sentence. Rob and I again thank God that we were given the gift of knowledge. Had we not agreed to Dr. Licht's study, there is a great chance we would have never had an MRI for Hayden and by the time we figured out that his delays were not associated with his heart recovery, we would already be so behind in the healing process for his brain. 
Hayden is a heart warrior so we know he has a lot of fight in him. We have all the faith and hope in the world that he will fight like a warrior through this too. Thank you for fighting for him right along with us.

No comments :

Post a Comment


DEDICATED TO HAYDEN JETER DORSETT
3.12.12 - 8.16.12

copyright 2012 - 2015 hayden's heart inc. 501(c)(3) all rights reserved blog design by Madison & Mi